***Important Medicare Important***
Those retirees that are just qualifying for Medicare must be covered under part A and part B. If you are not covered by Part A and Part B you will lose your health coverage from the City of Syracuse.
City of Syracuse Health Insurance
Those who retired under the currant contract will pay $60.00 per month for single coverage and $75.00 per month for family coverage until they become Medicare eligible. Effective March 1, 2007, the City of Syracuse Health Insurance Program was changed as follows:
- Doctor's Visits - For those not in Medicare, doctor's visits will change from a $10 co-pay to a $15 co-pay per visit.
- Prescription Drug Coverage - This benefit will change to co-payments of $5.00 for generic drugs and $15 for brand name prescriptions.
- Mail Order Service - Use of the mail order service will be mandatory for maintenance drugs (90 day prescriptions or more) with only two co-payments per 90 day supply.
- Prescription Co-Payments - The maximum annual prescription co-pay will be $400 per person.
- Health Benefit Contribution - Enrollees or their spouses who are not medicare eligible will begin paying a monthly health benefit contribution of $30 for single coverage or $45 for family coverage. The contributions will be deducted directly from the New York State Retirement System monthly pension checks. The contributions will cease as enrollees or spouses become Medicare eligible. However, if only one spouse becomes eligible for Medicare, a payment would still be required but would be reduced to the $30 single coverage rate.
- Medical Deductible - As was the case previously, after the $50.00 medical deductible is applied, the City covers the remaining medical costs.
Retiree Spousal Benefits
Many of the questions that we receive regarding retiree benefits occur after the death of a retired firefighter. To make the benefit process easier during this difficult time, we would like to provide the following information. As always, if you have any questions, please contact us at (315) 446-3415 or click here
to send an e-mail to Fred Cholet, President of the Syracuse Retired Fire Fighters Association.
In the case of the death of a retired Syracuse fire fighter, please notify the following entities. Note that a copy of the original death certificate must accompany notification.
- New York State Police & Fire Retiree System
110 State St.
Albany, NY 12244
- Social Security Administration
Notify Paul Motondo, President of Local 280
Syracuse Fire Fighters Insurance Fund
PO Box 11161
Syracuse, NY 13218-1161
Health Insurance: (315) 448-8788
In the case of the death of a Syracuse retired firefighter, a spouse will pay directly to the City of Syracuse $88.00 per month to receive the same coverage as before. The spouse will be notified one time and then it is their responsibility to pay each month.